Friday, August 20, 2010

and today my mind decided to venture into this.

Let's just wander into the mind of Julie today...

I don't understand why we focus so so much on sex outside of marriage being wrong. I don't know why we focus so much on homosexuality being wrong. I just, don't.

Why. don't. I. know?

Because, I feel as if... if all sin is equally bad... then why aren't we outside of people's houses with signs stating "Julie is a liar. Lying is wrong." or "Julie judges people."? We do that with homosexuality. Saying it's wrong. And yet lying and judgment can really corrupt a heart. Or hurt another person. Or bitterness: Oh my word. I hold sooo much bitterness in my life and that ends up hurting other people and bringing me away from God--and yet nobody has sent me hate mail for that. Maybe instead of purity rings, I'll get a "not a liar" necklace. Except... oops. I've lied before. So... I can't. But, I've also struggled with lust. So I should probably burn my purity ring. Oh.. but I haven't physically had sex. So I can keep it. What an interesting circle.

What I really don't get about homosexuality and sexual purity becoming the biggest sins aside from murder is this:

A lot of the time, homosexuality and sex involve love. Loving another. caring for them and their needs.

Yep, sometimes it doesn't. One night stands. Fun. Prostitution. Teenage hormones.

But sometimes it does. It really does. I've never been there, but sometimes, I swear, it does.

So. Why the heck is loving someone, and doing an action out of love, "more wrong" than say, judging somebody, which I do, a lot in fact, which is not done out of love? Why is it that we tell people who love each other that they cannot be together, or live together, because it it so wrong, when for them it is an act of love? They aren't harming one another... we view it as "causing the other to stumble" but... I just don't know. That isn't their intention, and it seems a lot less harmless than judgment. And although, yes, the Bible says it is wrong, I don't see it being any worse a sin than lying... which makes me think that perhaps

we should just mind our own business.
and send greeting cards and encouragement cards instead of hate mail and dirty looks.

This is just what has been circling my mind lately, as I learn to live AND love more boldly. I'm not trying to find an excuse to have sex. And I'm not interested in having a homosexuality debate. And yet, 90 percent of the time I flat out think homosexuality is wrong. I'm just looking at MY OWN tendencies to sin, and trying to learn from others' abilities to love with open arms.

If any of that made sense, bravo to me. If it didn't... meh.

4 comments:

  1. This made me smile. :)

    I love you, Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love love love this.

    i understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps. i know this entry is fairly old, but i wanted to comment anyhow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Comment away :)
    It reminds me that my thoughts are valid enough to share. And I often need that reminder.

    ReplyDelete